Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Quiche for the Freezer

I do like to have a variety of meals in the freezer for those nights I don't have time to cook or don't feel like cooking. I like to have at least three to four different meals in the freezer at one time so that I don't get tired of my "go to meal". I usually have a quiche or two in there because we both like them and served with a simple salad makes a nice meal.

Usually when I am cooking for the freezer, I cook one for dinner that night and one or two for the freezer. This particular quiche has ham, cheese and green onions in it, but I often just put in whatevr sounds good or whatever I have on hand.



I usually make my own pie crusts, but with quiche, or anything else that will go in the freezer for later I use the ones from the frozen section at the store. It make whipping these up even faster and they come in a pie tin so I don't have to remember to buy those.


I sprinkle about a cup of cheese on the bottom of the crusts. I used a mix of sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack for this batch.




Then on top of that, I spread about a cup of diced ham.



In a bowl I will mix the eggs, cream, veggies, salt and pepper, and a small pinch of nutmeg.



After that is mixed, the egg mixture is poured into the shell over the ham and cheese. At this point, I will set the shells cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer for about an hour. After they are starting to freeze, I will pull them out and wrap them in foil. If I try and wrap them as soon as I mix them, I tend to make a mess getting the foil around the pie pan. Much less of a mess for me if I let it freeze a bit.




When I am ready to serve these, I will pull them out of the freezer the morning that I plan to use it and let it defrost in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. When ready to cook, I bake it in a 375 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes.


Basic Quiche

pie shell
1 cup cheese (a single cheese or a mixture)
3/4 - 1 cup of meat (ham, bacon, etc)
2 chopped green onions (or about a cup of  chopped veggies-broccoli, mushrooms or asparagus work great)
4 large eggs
3/4 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg

Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pie shell. Top with ham or other meat. You can add veggies at this point, but if I am using green onions, I add them in the next step.

Mix together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper and pinch of nutmeg. Pour over the ham and cheese layers. 

If freezing; wrap in heavy duty foil and place in freezer. To cook let defrost for a bit then cook in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. 

If you want to bake it immediately, just skip the freezer part and bake for 35-40 minutes in a 375* oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.