Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Butterscotch Pudding

This dessert happens to be one of my husband's favorite things in the world. I have never been a fan of pudding, with the exception of banana pudding, but he loves it so much that I like to make it for him occasionally. 

I just realized I took the picture without the milk and cream the recipe requires, so just pretend they are there!


The recipe doesn't call for the molasses, but does call for dark brown sugar and all I had on hand was light brown sugar. So I added a tablespoon of the molasses to the light brown sugar to make it dark brown sugar.

Brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk and cream are cooked together until it starts to cook.




When it thickens, it comes off the heat and one cup of the hot pudding is added to the egg yolks, and after that is combined it goes back in the pan, and back on the heat for just another minute or two.

It is removed from the heat at that point and the butter and vanilla are added.





I like to pour my pudding through the sieve so that if there are any lumps they are removed. And my pudding usually has a small lump or two, so this makes sure I have a smoother consistency.





Pudding is then poured into bowls and refrigerated. I cover the dishes with plastic wrap touching the surface to keep a thick skin from forming. 

Topped with some fresh whipped cream and I have a very happy husband!




Butterscotch Pudding

3 egg yolks, whipped together
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups of milk
3/4 cup of heavy cream
3 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add milk and cream; stir well. Cook on med heat, whisking continually until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Combine 1 cup of hot pudding to the egg yolks, stir well and then return to the pot. Return to the heat and cook for another 2 minutes, whisking the entire time. Remove for the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir to incorporate into the pudding. Pour into bowl or serving dishes and let chill.

1 comment:

  1. my hubby would love this too! I think I have all the ingredients, will have to try it! Thanks for sharing your recipe Gina! (:

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.