Monday, March 10, 2014

Reuben Sandwich and Thousand Island Dressing

One of my favorite sandwiches is a well crafted Reuben. I love everything about them. All of those different tastes just meld together to form a perfect sandwich. We eat out less now, so that means I need to make them at home. 

One of the first processed foods I gave up to start making my own was salad dressings. I loved how quick it was to make them and how easily I could whip up different versions without having to buy one of every bottle in the store--and since I can make as much or as little as I need, I am not wasting it and throwing away half empty bottles. 

Of course a good Reuben needs a good sauce. Here are the ingredients that I started with:




With a lot of the dressings I make, I store them in a plain squeeze bottle, and that works great for smoother ones, but since this one has small chunks of the onion and the relish, these half pint mason jars are what I use.




I am happy to say that not only is the dressing homemade, but I also made that sauerkraut.

Ahhh, perfection on a plate!



Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon white onion, finely minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients together until well blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.