Wednesday, June 18, 2014

BBQ Chicken Pizza

BBQ Chicken Pizza happens to be one of my husband's favorite dishes. At first I really only made it for him, but it has really grown on me too. When we got married, a friend of mine gave me a gift card to Books a Million. She knew I loved cook books and she didn't want to even guess at a cookbook that I might not have. I found a book from The California Pizza Kitchen and knew it would be perfect since it had many of the recipes that Kip already loved. 

I started this recipe the day before I was going to make the pizza because I like to make my BBQ sauce ahead of time. I do make and can the BBQ sauce I use the most often, but the one that we like on this pizza is a little sweeter than the one I have canned.

(I also love that most of my condiments in the fridge are in mason jars!)



The next step is to cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces, cook until just done and then coat with BBQ sauce and let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.




To assemble the pizza, roll out the pizza dough to the desired thickness. Spread about 3/4-1 cup of the BBQ sauce over the surface of the crust. Top with 1/2 cup of shredded  smoked Gouda cheese and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Arrange chicken pieces and red onion pieces over the dough. Bake at 475 degrees for 12-14 minutes. When the pizza comes out of the oven sprinkle with chopped cilantro. 

We were hungry and I forgot to take a picture of the pizza cooked and after adding the cilantro. Here is is right before going in the oven.





BBQ SAUCE

2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder




Combine all ingredients in medium sauce pan over medium high heat and whisk till smooth.

bring mixture to a boil the reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes until thick.

cool then store in air tight container in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.