Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Peach Canning Continued



My first order of peaches I canned as peach slices and peach halves. When the second order came in, I got a little more creative. I made a peach vanilla jam, a peach rum sauce, peach  preserves, zesty peach barbecue sauce, peach butter, peach jalapeno jam and peach lemonade concentrate.

We both love peach anything so I do try and can a lot of those products. This year I went looking for some different recipes. I do think my favorite is the Peach Vanilla Jam. The added vanilla really adds a lovely smoothness to the deliciousness of those ripe peaches.

I found the recipe for the Zesty Peach BBQ Sauce in the Ball Complete Book of Home preserving and decided to make it after seeing so many people talking about it on some of the canning sites I read. The Ball book is my go-to canning resource, but they have lots of great recipes on their website too, including this one:


Zesty Peach BBQ Sauce


Makes about 8 (8 oz) half pints

Golden orange with red flecks, this barbecue sauce not only looks amazing, but tastes out of this world. Spoon some over your chicken or fish this summer!

6 cups finely chopped pitted peeled peaches (about 3 lb or 9 medium)
1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)
1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 14 cloves)
1-1/4 cups honey
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot pepper flakes
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
8 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) COMBINE all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens to the consistency of a thin commercial barbeque sauce, about 25 minutes.
3.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
4.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.