Thursday, February 26, 2015

Frozen Biscuits Made from Scratch



It took me a long time to get to the point where I could consistently make what I consider to be be good biscuits. Some of the time they were really good and sometimes they weren't all that great. They still tasted better than canned biscuits though. 

I loved the convenience of buying the frozen biscuits, because I could pull out just a couple and bake as needed. After my biscuit baking skills improved, I still bought the frozen ones sometimes because of how quickly I could get breakfast on the table during the week.

I am not a morning person at all. Making biscuits from scratch could only happen on the weekends and during the week, breakfast needs to be as quick as possible. I finally got around to making a batch of biscuits, cutting them out and freezing them! Ahh, the best of both worlds, we can have scratch made buttermilk biscuits any day of the week. I can serve biscuits without having to be awake enough to make them.

After making my dough and rolling and cutting them out, I freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When they are completely frozen I put them in a freezer bag.



Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups self rising flour 
1/2 cup cold butter +2 Tbs of melted butter
1 cup cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and the cold butter with a pastry knife or a fork until it is crumbly. Work quickly, because you want that butter to stay cold. Add the cold buttermilk and mix until dough forms. You may need to add just a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky.

Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and pat it down with your hands. Turning and folding the dough a couple of times, you want to make sure you do not overwork your dough. Pat it out again, until it about 1" thick and cut out your biscuits. Place cut out biscuits onto a cookie sheet with the sides touching.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and then remove from the oven. As soon as they come out of the oven, brush with the melted butter.

***I have found that if I put my flour in the food processor and cut in my butter and add the buttermilk, all in the food processor, that it is quicker. And working quicker in this case works better because everything stays cold. I also handle the dough a little less so the biscuits are a little more tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.