Friday, February 20, 2015

Creamy Onion Soup

 We are still kind of iced in, Kip did make it to work yesterday using my Jeep, but I am still staying at home. Cold weather is t he perfect time for soup, right? We love soup and eat it year round, but this ice, snowy weather calls for a nice bowl of  steamy soup. 

Since I haven't been about to get out to the grocery store, I have not been able to really follow the meal plan that I had for this week, so I am making meals with the ingredients that I have on hand.

Since I have quite a few onions, I decided to go with this creamy onion soup. It is a fairly simple soup, but full of flavor and perfect for the cold weather.




I don't think I had every had onion soup until after I had married Kip. We were on vacation and eating in a local restaurant. He was so excited when he saw it on the menu. That excitement turned to disappointment when the waitress set it down before him. Basically it was a few very stiff onions floating in some chicken broth. I decided to learn how to make it, and came up with this version after tweaking a few recipes.


This soup is great topped with croutons. I happened to have a little bit of Rosemary Bread left over for a dinner earlier in the week and used that to make my croutons.





Croutons are super easy, I cube my bread, mist with olive oil and pop into the oven until toasted.

Normally after misting the bread cubes with the olive oil I will add some salt and pepper but since this bread already had had rosemary in it, I left didn't add anything else.



Dinner is ready!!





Creamy Onion Soup

2 quarts beef broth
3 large onions, quartered and sliced
3 TBS corn starch
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese (cheddar will work too)
Salt and pepper to taste

Croutons (optional)
Shredded Colby-Jack

In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, bring beef broth to a boil. 

Place onions in boiling water, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.


Stir the cornstarch into 1/2 cup cold water to make a paste. Gently whisk this mixture into the simmering soup, being careful not to break the onions. Simmer 30 minutes more.

Stir in cream and cheese until cheese is melted and mixture is thoroughly heated.  

Serve hot, garnished with croutons, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.