Monday, May 12, 2014

Beef and Broccoli

This is another favorite dish of mine at the Chinese restaurants. Well it used to be anyway. Then it seemed that most places replaced their delicious sauces with something not so great. I had a friend give me his recipe for Beef with Broccoli and with a couple of personal tweaks, I found a new recipe!

I gathered my ingredients, I had fresh broccoli on hand, but you can also use frozen if that is what you have. I prefer it when I make it with the fresh because I like the crunch, but it is still pretty delicious.



After mixing the sauce, it is pretty important to let the meat marinate for at least 30 minutes.




I love cooking with garlic and ginger.




By using fresh broccoli, I can retain some of the crispness which I really like.




Since the meat is cut into small pieces, it cooks in just a few minutes. After it is cooked, the broccoli goes back in the pan to be tossed with the beef and the sauce.



Add some rice and dinner is served!




Beef and Broccoli

2/3 cup oyster sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2/3 cup cooking sherry
2 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 lb round steak cut into thin strips
2-3 tablespoons of oil
1 teaspoon fresh, minced ginger
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 lb broccoli cut into florets

Whisk together the oyster sauce, sesame oil. sherry, tamari,sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add meat to the mixture, make sure all pieces are coated and marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and stir in the garlic and ginger. Let them cook for just about a minute, then add the broccoli florets. Toss and stir until the broccoli is bright green and starts to get tender. Remove the broccoli.

Add a little more oil to the pan if needed and add the beef and the liquid it has been marinated in, cook until meat is no longer pink and the sauce is starting to thicken. Return the broccoli to the pan and mix with the beef and the sauce, cook only until broccoli is heated. 

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.