Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Grapefruit Marmalade


This was the first time that I have ever work for citrus for a canning project. I bought a case of grapefruit and a case of oranges. I love grapefruit so I decided to start with a Grapefruit Marmalade from the Ball book. 


I started by thinly peeling the grapefruit and the scraping away all of the white from the inside of the peel.

Then the peel was cut into small strips.


After that I followed the directions in the Ball book to make and then process the marmalade.

Final Product:


I decided that working with citrus really is a lot of work! I will probably do it again, but buying a much smaller quantity of citrus. I had a lot of it and every recipe that I made seemed to take me much longer than anything else I have made. I told Kip that this is liquid gold it took me so long to do! I made a few other citrus recipes from the same book and h ad mixed results. I canned some Crimson Honey Grapefruit that was supposed to stay in sections, but completely came apart on me. I don't know if is was a beginner error or what. They still tasted great and I eat them with breakfast, but it is definitely an eat with a spoon jar. Hopefully before citrus season rolls around again I will have found someone to give me some helpful hints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.