Friday, June 7, 2013

CSA Basket June 6



Thursdays are my CSA pickup days and this is what I got in this week's basket: summer squash, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, two heads of lettuce, mesclun salad mix, onions, and peas. I love strawberries and the ones that I have gotten in this basket have been so tasty, but I think I was even more excited about the peas! I don't think I have ever had fresh peas before, at least I know that I have never cooked them before. I love peas though and did decide to grow some this year. 

We have already eaten some of the lettuce and tomatoes with last night's dinner. Since Thursdays are CSA pickup days I get home a little later than normal so I have been making Thursdays "sandwich night". It just makes it a little easier on me to make a quick dinner. Last night we had roast beef sandwiches on onion rolls and then I had some white cheddar cheese, made some horseradish mayo and lettuce and tomato from my basket.

The squash and the onions will probably end up in tonight's fried rice dinner, the strawberries will be eaten as snacks and with breakfast and the lettuce will make some fine salads. I am not sure about the peas yet, I haven't decided if some of them will also be in the fried rice or if I am just going to have a big bowl of peas for lunch today!

I think this is the fourth week of pick-ups with the new CSA and I have to say, I have been very happy with everything I have gotten. Switching farms wasn't a decision that I made lightly, but I really do think this was the best decision for us. The variety seems to be greater already and I am happy that this farm also included fruit in their baskets. 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.