Friday, April 5, 2013

Creamy Hummus and a Kitchen Fave


We love hummus at my house and I learned a basic recipe a while back. Today I am going to show you one of my favorite hummus recipes. I start with 1 can of white kidney beans, 1 can of chick peas (reserving some of the liquid), a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, 3-4 garlic cloves, about a tablespoon each of cumin and sesame seeds.


Everything gets added to the food processor. I only add about half of the lemon juice though until after it is blended. As it is blending I will slowly add in some of the reserved liquid from the chickpeas. Continue to blend until you have a nice creamy hummus.



Using the kidney beans was a happy accident. One day I was making hummus and realized that I had accidently grabbed one can of chick peas and one of the kidney beans. I was cooking with Samantha that day and she was looking forward to making hummus. I decided to give it a go and was happy with the end product. I makes a very smooth hummus. 

Most hummus recipes use tahini and sometimes I do too. The store I shop at does not always have it and it is a little pricey so sometimes it just isn't in the budget. I will add some sesame seeds or sometimes a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. 

Hummus is very versatile and I make it pretty frequently to eat with pitas or as a dip for veggies.


My food processor is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I love it for making hummus like here, making pasta or other doughs and many many other things. There is a funny story about this though. I had never had one before, but I wanted one. I had a good blender and couldn't really justify the cost for something that I didn't know if I would use that often. The first Christmas after we were married, Kip evidently mentioned to his mom and sister that he was thinking of buying one as part of my Christmas. They let him know that most women would not appreciate a kitchen appliance for a gift. He thought different, and I am glad he did because I was very excited when I opened the box! If I had known how many different ways I could use it, I would have probably gotten once even sooner.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.