Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Blue Cheese Dressing


As were are trying to eat healthier, I have been looking for alternatives to a lot of things that I used to buy in bottles or packets. I make the marinades that I use, I have made a couple of different versions of mustard, steak sauce, dipping sauces and seasoning mixes. I have several new dressing recipes that I alternate making but I believe this blue cheese dressing is a favorite for both of us. It takes less than a minute to mix together and can be eaten immediately, but is even better if you let it sit for 30 minutes or so before serving. I make the dressing as I am starting dinner prep so by the time we are eating it has been mixed for at least 30 minutes or longer.

Here is the recipe that I use:
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk (plus a little extra)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2-4 oz. crumbled blue cheese

Mix all ingredients, except the cheese. After everything is mixed together stir in the cheese.



I store my dressings in pint jars. After I get all the dressing in the jar, I will add enough buttermilk to finish filling the jar, leaving enough room that I can still shake the jar.

I am working on learning how to make my own mayo, but I am not there yet. Sometimes it works, but it usually doesn't! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.