Saturday, September 30, 2017

Orange Chicken





Eating out has been a hard habit to break. Well, more accurately take-out and delivery have been the hardest to break! As I have gotten more serious about my health and weight loss, two of the things I miss most are pizza delivery and Chinese delivery. I got into that mindset of needing a weekly break from cooking and ordering take-out was my break. For the past two weeks I have had a serious craving for Chinese food--most of my favorites are deep fried and drowning in delicious sauces!

Chinese just isn't in the budget right now--money or calorie wise. I had found a recipe a while back for a healthier version of orange chicken, but it left a lot to be desired in the flavor department. Since this was one of the dishes that I was craving the most I decided to tweak the recipe a lot, and I was happy with this version. It isn't deep fried with a nice crunch crust, but it did calm the urge to call for delivery!!


Orange Chicken
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
orange chicken sauce
toppings: orange pieces, green onions, sesame seeds, orange zest

ORANGE SAUCE:

3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. white pepper
zest of one orange
1 orange, cut into small sections
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes


Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute for about 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and nearly cooked through.
Pour in the orange chicken sauce, and stir to combine. Let the sauce come to a boil, then boil for an additional 3-5 minutes until thickened. During the last minute of cooking add the orange sections. Remove from heat and serve immediately over quinoa or rice. Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds, orange pieces and additional orange zest.


ORANGE SAUCE:
Whisk all ingredients together until combined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.