Monday, August 26, 2013

Tomato Skins



Waste not, want not, right? When I made my wing sauce last week, I had this lovely bowl of tomato skins left over and decided to dehydrate them and make tomato powder.


Loaded up ready for the dehydrator:



After drying for several hours:



After they were thoroughly dried, I put them in a blender and pureed the dry skins. Here is the powder that I ended up with:



What to do with tomato powder? I plan to add it in my dough the next time I make pasta. I stirred in some when I made ranch dressing the other day, just for a little change. The next time I make pita bread I might try it out in there. 

I love the fact that I was able to use something that would have just been tossed in the compost bin and made something that I can use in my cooking.

Tomato skins are pretty lightweight and when I removed the trays from my dehydrator I found some dry skins that had blown off the trays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.