Thursday, March 14, 2013

Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Leather



As we have been eating healthier and I have been learning more about preserving foods, my dehydrator  has been getting a lot more use. It used to only come out for the occasional batch of jerky then go back on the shelf until I was in the mood to make jerky again. Now it gets used all the time. If I find a good deal on veggies at the store, I dehydrate them. If I have a couple of stalks of celery left over after making stock, I dehydrate it so it doesn't get pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten about. My friend's daughter Samantha loves to play in the kitchen with me and one day I mentioned that we could make our own fruit roll ups with real fruit and in any combination that we could think up. She was all for that! For this batch we chose strawberry kiwi fruit leather.  In the photo about you can see that after pureeing our strawberries, we spread them evenly over parchment paper on the dehydrator tray, then we randomly added the kiwi.



And her we took a butter knife and spread the kiwi around a little. We have also made these by pureeing the strawberries and kiwi together and doing solid sheets.We were just experimenting with something new.





Here is the final product after drying, minus a corner for sampling purposes. The color of the kiwi gets a little lost in the red, but you can really taste it. 

I like to make these on the parchment paper because I can use kitchen scissors and easily cut them into strips and roll them. Once they are rolled up they can be put into a lunch box without taking up too much room. Samantha loves to take them in her lunch and I have found that they make a great snack for me when I am craving something sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.