Friday, January 24, 2014

Italian Dressing Mix

Continuing with the seasoning mixes that I made for my Dad, I will share my Italian Dressing mix. This, like almost all of my seasoning mixes, carries the name of the main use I have for the mix, and like the others, this one is great for a lot of different uses. I do think this one is the one that my Dad was anticipating the most. 

When I use this as a dressing mix, I add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/3 cup of oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. You can experiment with different oils and vinegars to change the taste. Salad dressings are one of the first things that I decided to stop buying in the store. It is so simple and quick to mix up something to dress a salad with, and the taste is so much better than anything you can buy in a store. As an added benefit, I also a lot less waste. I do like to try many different tastes, so I ended up with a lot of half empty bottles in the fridge that would ultimately end up in the trash. Now, I just mix up what I need and nothing gets wasted.

Italian Dressing Mix
3 tablespoons of garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup oregano
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon basil
3 tablespoons parsley
3/4 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground mustard

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.  

I use this as a salad dressing mix, sprinkled on chicken or shrimp or to season tomato sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.