Monday, October 7, 2013

Taco Seasoning

I have been making my own taco seasoning for a while now, even before I started trying to make as much as I could from scratch. I like to add it to other ingredients sometimes and would often only need a small amount from a package, then would have a package that wasn't enough to make tacos, and then it would get stuck in a drawer and I would forget about it until I cleaned out the drawer.

One day I was making tacos and realized that I didn't have any taco seasoning and didn't want to run to the store either. Google to the rescue! I searched for a recipe and found one, made it and loved it. I have tweaked and added to that original recipe and have some up with this version that I really like.



This recipe does make quite a bit, but I like to have it on hand, so once I have filled my spice container (like the ones above), I put the excess in a mason jar and vacuum seal it so that it stays fresh. 

You can also see my high tech way of labeling jars--I use painter's tape to write the contents and the date on the jars.




Taco Seasoning

1/2 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup cumin
1 tablespoon sea salt
3 tablespoons black pepper 
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon chipotle chili pepper
2 teaspoons beef bullion

Measure all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Store in an air tight container.

To Use: When I use this for tacos, I add 3-4 tablespoons to a pound of ground beef that has been cooked and drained. Simmer seasoning mix, ground beef and 2/3 cup of water for a few minutes.


Other ways I use taco seasoning:
Salad Dressing: Add a teaspoons or two to ranch dressing for a southwestern ranch
Dip: Mix a couple of tablespoons to about a cup and a half of sour cream
Chicken: Sprinkle on chicken breasts before baking
Soup: Add some to a tomato based soup for a taco soup

I have lots of ways of using this seasoning, it is probably the seasoning mix that I use the most so even though it seems like a lot of mix, I go through it pretty quickly. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments! Please be kind and respectful (which happen to be two of my rules in life).

I have enabled anonymous comments, if you comment that way, please leave your name, especially if you know me personally and you have asked me a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.